Saturday, February 19, 2011

Red Lantern

Luke Nguyen

Of late, I dined at Red Lantern - 2nd experience after (4) years? I want to believe that my taste has changed over the years, however I actually think Luke Nguyen is not as good as he used to be and that his tv shows and books are just a publicity maneuver to rack in more $$$$

Check out one of his video shown on SBS and lifestyle channel:


Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's terribly bad, however his claim to authenticate his food and to accentuate the Vietnamese flavours is rather ambitious. Although his menu offers some beloved popular Vietnamese "home-cook" dish; as a Vietnamese growing up in a masterchef dome, I'd rather save the money and eat at home.

And my favourite chef in the whole wide world, my sister, claims to be better than Luke Nguyen- after that night, I confirm her claim :)

Nonetheless, I do recommend Red Lantern as a restaurant of choice for something different, it's affordable and the tasting menu has enough food to feed 10+ people, perfect venue for your next birthday dinner! The duck shredded cabbage salad is a MUST try!


Organic Gundooee Wagyu beef brisket braised in tomato with cinnamon, cassia bark and star anise


Line caught Blue Eye Trevalla poached in an aromatic prawn, tomato and coconut broth


Lightly battered chilli salted squid


Master stock chicken and jelly fish salad with fresh shredded cabbage and Vietnamese mint > THIS was delish! Best dish oft he night!


Soft rice paper rolled with roast duck, enoki mushrooms and fresh Vietnamese herbs


Large Black Berkshire Cross pork shoulder caramelized with lemongrass, chilli and shrimp paste. Served in a clay pot with Asian vegetables

2 comments:

  1. i agree i wouldn't pay that much $$ to eat vietnamese when i can get it home made at home (or for so so cheap at cabra/canleyheights/canleyvale)

    :O)

    but i do like his shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like Red Lantern but then that's cause I haven't had a lot of traditional Vietnamese food before.. but yeah it's a tad pricey :(

    ReplyDelete